Friday, August 17, 2018

Philippians 3:4b-6 Part 2 of 2

If someone else thinks they have reasons to put confidence in the flesh, I have more: circumcised on the eighth day, of the people of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, a Hebrew of Hebrews; in regard to the law, a Pharisee; as for zeal, persecuting the church; as for righteousness based on the law, faultless.  

as for zeal 
Acts 21:20  When they (James and the elders) heard this, they praised God. Then they said to Paul: "You see, brother, how many thousands of Jews have believed, and all of them are zealous for the law."
Acts 22:3  "I am a Jew, born in Tarsus of Cilicia, brought up in this city. I studied under Gamaliel and was thoroughly trained in the law of our ancestors. I was as zealous for God as any of you are today." 
Romans 10:2  For I can testify about them (the Israelites) that they are zealous for God, but their zeal is not based on knowledge.
Galatians 1:14  I was advancing in Judaism beyond many of my own age among my people and was extremely zealous for the traditions of my fathers.

persecuting the church 
Acts 8:3  But Saul began to destroy the church. Going from house to house, he dragged off both men and women and put them in prison.

as for righteousness based on the law, faultless 
Philippians 3:8-9  What is more, I consider everything a loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them garbage, that I may gain Christ and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ--the righteousness that comes from God on the basis of faith.
Romans 3:28  For we maintain that a person is justified by faith apart from the works of the law.
Romans 10:5  Moses writes this about the righteousness that is by the law: "The person who does these things will live by them." (Leviticus 18:5)
Galatians 2:16  (We Jews) know that a person is not justified by the works of the law, but by faith in Jesus Christ. So we, too, have put our faith in Christ Jesus that we may be justified by faith in Christ and not by the works of the law, because by the works of the law no one will be justified.
Galatians 3:10-11  For all who rely on the works of the law are under a curse, as it is written: "Cursed is everyone who does not continue to do everything written in the Book of the Law." (Deuteronomy 27:26) Clearly no one who relies on the law is justified before God, because "the righteous will live by faith." (Habakkuk 2:4)

(parentheses are mine)

Scriptures taken from the Holy Bible, New International Version® NIV®, Copyright© 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide. 
Limited to 15 verses per post.

No comments:

Post a Comment