Saturday, May 23, 2009

Matthew 6:9-13

"This, then, is how you should pray: 'Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name, your kingdom come, your will be done on earth as it is in heaven. Give us today our daily bread. Forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one.'"

Our Father
Jeremiah 3:19 "I myself said, 'How gladly would I treat you like sons and give you a desirable land, the most beautiful inheritance of any nation.' I thought you would call me 'Father' and not turn away from following me."
Malachi 2:10 Have we not all one Father? Did not God create us? Why do we profane the covenant of our fathers by breaking faith with one another.

your kingdom
Matthew 3:2 "...and saying, "Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is near."

your will be done
Matthew 26:39 Going a little farther, he fell with his face to the ground and prayed, "My Father, if it is possible, may this cup be taken from me. Yet not as I will, but as you will."

Give us today our daily bread
Proverbs 30:8 Keep falsehood and lies far from me; give me neither poverty nor riches, but give me only my daily bread.

as we have also forgiven our debtors
Matthew 18:21-22 Then Peter came to Jesus and asked, "Lord, how many times shall I forgive my brother when he sins against me? Up to seven times?" Jesus answered, "I tell you, not seven times, but seventy-seven times." (or - seventy times seven) (Read Matt 18:21-35 for the whole parable)

lead us not into temptation
James 1:13-14 When tempted, no one should say, "God is tempting me." For God cannot be tempted by evil, nor does he tempt anyone; but each one is tempted when, by his own evil desire, he is dragged away and enticed.

but deliver us from the evil one
Matthew 5:37 "Simply let your 'Yes' be 'Yes' and your 'No', 'No'; anything beyond this comes from the evil one."

NOTES:
Additional verses to look up: 1 Peter 1:17, Matthew 26:41, Mark 11:25, Luke 11:4

(Parentheses are mine)

Scriptures taken from the Holy Bible, New International Version® NIV®, Copyright© 1973, 1978, 1984 by International Bible Society. Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

No comments:

Post a Comment