Sunday, June 5, 2022

1 Thessalonians 3:4-5

In fact, when we were with you, we kept telling you that we would be persecuted. And it turned out that way, as you well know. For this reason, when I could stand it no longer, I sent to find out about your faith. I was afraid that in some way the tempter had tempted you and that our labors might have been in vain.

And it turned out that way, as you well know
1 Thessalonians 2:14-15a  For you, brothers and sisters, became imitators of God's churches in Judea, which are in Christ Jesus: You suffered from your own people the same things those churches suffered from the Jews who killed the Lord Jesus and the prophets and also drove us out.   

For this reason, when I could stand it no longer 
1 Thessalonians 3:1  So when we could stand it no longer, we thought it best to be left by ourselves in Athens.

I sent to find out about your faith 
1 Thessalonians 3:2-3  We sent Timothy, who is our brother and co-worker in God's service in spreading the gospel of Christ, to strengthen and encourage you in your faith, so that no one would be unsettled by these trials. For you know quite well that we are destined for them.

I was afraid that in some way the tempter 
Matthew 4:3  The tempter came to him and said, "If you are the Son of God, tell these stones to become bread."
Matthew 4:5-6  Then the devil took him to the holy city and had him stand on the highest point of the temple. "If you are the Son of God," He said, "throw yourself down. For it is written: 'He will command his angels concerning you, and they will lift you up in their hands, so that you will not strike your foot against a stone.' " (Psalm 91:11-12)
Matthew 4:8-9  Again, the devil took him to a very high mountain and showed him all the kingdoms of the world and their splendor. "All this I will give you," he said, "if you will bow down and worship me."
 
had tempted you and that our labors might have been in vain 
Galatians 2:2  I went in response to a revelation and, meeting privately with those esteemed as leaders, I presented to them the gospel that I preach among the Gentiles. I wanted to be sure I was running and had not been running my race in vain.
Philippians 2:15b-16  Then you will shine among them like stars in the sky as you hold firmly to the word of life. And then I will be able to boast on the day of Christ that I did not run or labor in vain.

(parentheses are mine)
 
Scriptures taken from the Holy Bible, New International Version® NIV®, Copyright© 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide. Limited to 15 verses per post.

No comments:

Post a Comment