Saturday, April 18, 2015

PEACE Numbers 25:12-13 Part 2 of 2

"Therefore tell him (Phinehas) I am making my covenant of peace with him. He and his descendants will have a covenant of a lasting priesthood, because he was zealous for the honor of his God and made atonement for the Israelites." 

because he was zealous 
1 Kings 19:10  He (Elijah) replied, "I have been very zealous for the LORD God Almighty. The Israelites have rejected your covenant, torn down your altars, and put your prophets to death with the sword. I am the only one left, and now they are trying to kill me too."
2 Kings 10:16  Jehu said, "Come with me and see my zeal for the LORD." Then he had him ride along in his chariot.

for the honor of his God 
Numbers 25:10-11  The LORD said to Moses, "Phinehas son of Eleazar, the son of Aaron, the priest, has turned my anger away from the Israelites. Since he was as zealous for my honor among them as I am, I did not put an end to them in my zeal."

and has made atonement
Exodus 29:36  "Sacrifice a bull each day as a sin offering to make atonement. Purify the altar by making atonement for it, and anoint it to consecrate it."
Romans 3:25-26  God presented Christ as a sacrifice of atonement, through the shedding of his blood--to be received by faith. He did this to demonstrate his righteousness, because in his forbearance he had left the sins committed beforehand unpunished--he did it to demonstrate his righteousness at the present time, so as to be just and the one who justifies those who have faith in Jesus.

for the Israelites 
Psalm 106:30-31  But Phinehas stood up and intervened, and the plague was checked. This was credited to him as righteousness for endless generations to come.
Jeremiah 33:17-18  "For this is what the LORD says: 'David will never fail to have a man to sit on the throne of Israel, nor will the Levitical priests ever fail to have a man to stand before me continually to offer burnt offerings, to burn grain offerings and to present sacrifices.' "

(parentheses are mine)

Scriptures taken from the Holy Bible, New International Version® NIV®, Copyright© 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide. 
Limited to 15 verses per post.

No comments:

Post a Comment