Sunday, September 20, 2009

Revelation 3:4-6

"Yet you have a few people in Sardis who have not soiled their clothes. They will walk with me, dressed in white, for they are worthy. He who overcomes will, like them, be dressed in white. I will never blot out his name from the book of life, but will acknowledge his name before my Father and his angels. He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches."

Yet you have a few people in Sardis who have not soiled their clothes
Jude 23 ... snatch others from the fire and save them; to others show mercy, mixed with fear--hating even the clothing stained by corrupted flesh.

They will walk with me, dressed in white
Revelation 3:18 " I counsel you to buy from me gold refined in the fire, so you can become rich; and white clothes to wear, so you can cover your shameful nakedness; and salve to put on your eyes, so you can see." (Laodicea)
Revelation 4:4 Surrounding the throne were twenty-four other thrones, and seated on them were twenty-four elders. They were dressed in white and had crowns of gold on their heads.
Revelation 6:11 Then each of them was given a white robe, and they were told to wait a little longer, until the number of their fellow servants and brothers who were to be killed as they had been was completed.
Revelation 7:9 After this I looked and there before me was a great multitude that no one could count, from every nation, tribe, people and language, standing before the throne and in front of the Lamb. They were wearing white robes and were holding palm branches in their hands.
Revelation 7:13-14 Then one of the elders asked me, "These in white robes--who are they, and where did they come from?" I answered, "Sir, you know." and he said, "These are they who have come out of the great tribulation; they have washed their robes and made them white in the blood of the Lamb."
Revelation 19:14 The armies of heaven were following him, riding on white horses and dressed in fine linen, white and clean.

He who overcomes
John 16:33 "I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world."

I will never blot out his name from the book of life
Revelation 20:12 And I saw the dead, great and small, standing before the throne, and books were opened. Another book was opened, which is the book of life. The dead were judged according to what they had done as recorded in the books.

but will acknowledge his name before my Father
Matthew 10:32 "Whoever acknowledges me before men, I will also acknowledge him before my Father in heaven."

(parentheses are mine)

NOTES:
Book of life: Exodus 32:32-33; Psalm 69:28; Daniel 12:1
erasure from the book of life: Rev. 13:8, 17:8, 20:12; 21:27; Philippians 4:3

Scriptures taken from the Holy Bible, New International Version® NIV®, Copyright© 1973, 1978, 1984 by International Bible Society. Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

No comments:

Post a Comment