Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Proverbs 1:5-6

... let the wise listen and add to their learning, and let the discerning get guidance--for understanding proverbs and parables, the sayings and riddles of the wise.

let the wise listen and add to their learning
Proverbs 9:9 Instruct a wise man and he will be wiser still; teach a righteous man and he will add to his learning.

for understanding proverbs and parables
Psalm 49:4 I will turn my ear to a proverb; with the harp I will expound my riddle: ...
Matthew 13:13-17 "This is why I speak to them in parables: Though seeing, they do not see; though hearing, they do not hear or understand. In them is fulfilled the prophecy of Isaiah: 'You will be ever hearing but never understanding; you will be ever seeing but never perceiving. For this people's heart has become calloused; they hardly hear with their ears, and they have closed their eyes. Otherwise they might see with their eyes, hear with their ears, understand with their hearts and turn, and I would heal them.' But blessed are your eyes because they see, and your ears because they hear. For I tell you the truth, many prophets and righteous men longed to see what you see but did not see it, and to hear what you hear but did not hear it."

the sayings and riddles
Numbers 12:8 "With him I speak face to face, clearly and not in riddles; he sees the form of the LORD. Why then were you not afraid to speak against my servant Moses?"
Judges 14:12 "Let me tell you a riddle," Samson said to them. "If you can give me the answer within the seven days of the feast, I will give you thirty linen garments and thirty sets of clothes."
Ezekiel 17:2 "Son of man, set forth an allegory and tell the house of Israel a parable."

of the wise
Proverbs 22:17 Pay attention and listen to the sayings of the wise; apply your heart to what I teach, ...
Proverbs 24:23 These also are sayings of the wise: To show partiality in judging is not good: ...

Scriptures taken from the Holy Bible, New International Version® NIV®, Copyright© 1973, 1978, 1984 by International Bible Society. Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

No comments:

Post a Comment