Sunday, July 19, 2009

John 1:15-17

John testifies concerning him. He cries out, saying, "This was he of whom I said, 'He who comes after me has surpassed me because he was before me.'" From the fullness of his grace we have all received one blessing after another. For the law was given through Moses; grace and truth came through Jesus Christ.

John testifies
John 1:7 He came as a witness to testify concerning that light so that through him all men might believe.

He who comes after me has surpassed me because he was before me
John 1:30 "This is the one I meant when I said, 'A man who comes after me has surpassed me because he was before me.'"
Matthew 3:11 "I baptize you with water for repentance. But after me will come one who is more powerful than I, whose sandals I am not fit to carry. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and with fire."

From the fullness
Ephesians 1:22-23 And God placed all things under his feet and appointed him to be head over everything for the church, which is his body, the fullness of him who fills everything in every way.
Colossians 1:19 For God was pleased to have all his fullness dwell in him, ...
Colossians 2:9 For in Christ all the fullness of the Deity lives in bodily form, ...

of his grace
Romans 3:23-24 ... for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, and are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Jesus Christ.

For the law was given through Moses
Deuteronomy 32:46 ... he said to them, "Take to heart all the words I have solemnly declared to you this day, so that you may command your children to obey carefully all the words of this law."
John 7:19 "Has not Moses given you the law? Yet not one of you keeps the law. Why are you trying to kill me?"

grace and truth came through Jesus Christ
John 1:14 The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the One and Only, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth.

Scriptures taken from the Holy Bible, New International Version® NIV®, Copyright© 1973, 1978, 1984 by International Bible Society. Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

No comments:

Post a Comment