Sunday, July 4, 2010

Hebrews 11:13-16 Part 1

All these people were still living by faith when they died. They did not receive the things promised; they only saw them and welcomed them from a distance. And they admitted that they were aliens and strangers on earth. People who say such things show that they are looking for a country of their own. If they had been thinking of the country they had left, they would have had opportunity to return. Instead, they were longing for a better country--a heavenly one. Therefore God is not ashamed to be called their God, for he has prepared a city for them.

They did not receive the things promised
Hebrews 11:39 These were all commended for their faith, yet none of them received what had been promised.

they only saw them and welcomed them from a distance
Matthew 13:17 "For I tell you the truth, many prophets and righteous men longed to see what you see but did not see it, and to hear what you hear but did not hear it."

And they admitted that they were aliens and strangers on earth
Genesis 23:4 "I am an alien and a stranger among you. Sell me some property for a burial site here so I can bury my dead."
Leviticus 25:4 "'The land must not be sold permanently, because the land is mine and you are but aliens and my tenants.'"
Philippians 3:20 But our citizenship is in heaven. And we eagerly await a Savior from there, the Lord Jesus Christ.
1 Peter 1:17 Since you call on a Father who judges each man's work impartially, live your lives as strangers here in reverent fear.
1 Peter 2:11 Dear friends, I urge you, as aliens and strangers in the world, to abstain from sinful desires, which war against your soul.

If they had been thinking of the country they had left, they would have had opportunity to return
Genesis 24:6-8 "Make sure that you do not take my son back there," Abraham said. "The LORD, the God of heaven, who brought me out of my father's household and my native land and who spoke to me and promised me on oath, saying, 'To your offspring I will give this land'--he will send his angel before you so that you can get a wife for my son from there. If the woman is unwilling to come back with you, then you will be released from this oath of mine. Only do not take my son back there."

NOTES:
Read Galatians 1

Scriptures taken from the Holy Bible, New International Version® NIV®, Copyright© 1973, 1978, 1984 by International Bible Society. Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

No comments:

Post a Comment